Friday, August 26, 2011

Dinosaur man



Back in the day (the day of the Contract With America) I got to go into the office of the Speaker of the House and do an interview with Newt Gingrich, for a story on a photographer who had documented the new speaker's "First Hundred Days." Sitting right there in the office, in a glass case, was the huge skull of a T Rex. It was behind me, but at one point in the interview - mid-sentence - Newt leaned around me to look at the skull admiringly.

"Man I love that thing," he said.

Now Newt's out of that office and running for another. On an assignment to photograph him recently I found his new office on K Street had no dinosaur skulls, but lots of other dino memorabilia. It seems a risky symbol for a Republican presidential candidate, but then Newt never went out of the way to be politically correct.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home