Monday, October 22, 2012

The Poet in the Anatomy Lab

It's not the sort of place you'd immediately expect to find a poet.  But high school students interested in medicine who were touring Howard U's med school found just that when they visited the school's gross anatomy lab (some might call it the cadaver lab) and encountered Prof. Mohammed Ashraf Aziz, one of the instructors.

"Some people say beauty is only skin-deep," said Dr. Aziz, lecturing his rapt audience as they gathered around one of the tables.  "But I say no, the human body is even more beautiful the deeper you go."

Or how about this:  "Don't tell your beloved 'I love you from the bottom of my heart.' Say 'I love you from the bottom of my left ventricle,'" the part of the heart of that receives fresh oxygenated blood.

And to Prof. Aziz, this suggests a way to dump a soon-to-be-ex as well:  "Say 'I love you from the bottom of my right ventricle.'" That's the heart chamber that  pumps out used, deoxygenated blood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home