Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Stakeout


A magazine client, seeking to illustrate a story on banning the media from certain types of hearings, asked me recently to come up with a photo of a classic stakeout, preferably one outdoors. "No problem," I said. "We get them all the time. I'll send you something next week."

Well, it's been a slow week in Washington, what with Memorial Day and everything, and I was running out of time. But yesterday I was assigned to photograph a speech by Czech Republic President Vaclav Klaus, and there were at least a few cameras there, even if this was in the dim ballroom of the National Press Club rather than outside some hearing room. (I actually remember talking to Klaus in 1989 during the Velvet Revolution, when he was a dissident economist working as a bank teller. You never know...)
So I decided to do what I could. I placed a single strobe in the balcony, illuminating not the speaker, but the media. And once I shot and saw how this videographer's face was illuminated, I knew I had something worthwhile. (I was reminded of the classic, high-contrast black and white of a photographer holding a rangefinder.)
Someone could print this and some similar photos and hand them out to new members of congress, world bank presidents, and others in authority here in DC, and say: "Remember, if you don't behave yourself, this is what you'll find outside your front door one morning."

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed looking through your blog, not just the pictures but your description about the subject and how you shot it. Keep it going!

May 31, 2008 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger aaronnssd said...

You've written an excellent post, and you've shared it with us. Your article provided me with some unique and useful knowledge about film production companies in dubai. I appreciate you sharing this text with us.

November 19, 2021 at 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home